Monday, July 18, 2011

Watching His Actions

Doug and I have been married going on 18 years. That's really hard for me to believe since I'm still so young :) I tell everybody that he's about 95% perfect and totally mean it. We are vastly different people though. God just created us differently. I think the saying "opposites attract" is very true and it happens for a reason. I think God brings two very different people together so they can offset and balance each other. You can learn so much and grow from living with someone who is totally opposite of you.

One of the biggest ways Doug and I are different is verbally. I am a verbal person. I like to talk and share about my day and my thoughts. Getting Doug to share anything is like pulling teeth! He just doesn't have that desire. It can become an issue if I let it. We did the Five Love Languages quiz several years ago and one of my top ones is Words of Affirmation. Now, when this is one of your primary love languages and your husband is not a talker, it can be an issue. Doug's primary love language is "Acts of Service." Now this love language I just don't even get. I mean, if Doug does the dishes this isn't him showing his love for me, it's him doing his part around the house. But is it....

I've really had to step back and take a look at how I view things Doug does. He helps me so much with my business, Jazzy Girl Boutique. He will price my items, brad flowers and he's always there during setup and tear down. I think of this as him doing his job to help me. I mean, I'm sure he loved bradding about 100 flower clips for me! However, he sees it as doing something for me to show his love for me. This takes an adjustment in my thinking to see Doug as he really is.

This brings me to what I wanted to share today. We're on this road to Fishers, IN. I like to talk about it. I try to slip it into a conversation with whoever! I feel it's a good witness tool. I can share what God is doing and my obedience and this is just a good thing for people to hear. Now Doug doesn't talk about it much at all. Every once in awhile he'll share something with me, but not that often. He can't talk about it at work, so he really doesn't say much. I can start to question whether he really gets it. Whether he's really in it for the right reasons. Then I have to take a step back and look at his actions. Several times a week he searches for jobs and applies for anything that might be relevant. Several times a week he looks for houses for us in Fishers. Now that our house is on the market, he is crazy cleaning man every time we have a showing. I mean, we got feedback that one of the carpets in an upstairs bedroom was really a turnoff. So, we were able to get new for $80 and that night Doug installed it. I mean, this is my procrastinating husband, and he got it done in one day!

I think the biggest action of all is that he is eager to get there. He's eager to quit his steady, comfortable job here and step out into the unknown. He's giving up a lot and I know it has to be scary. So, when I step back and look at his actions, I'm simply amazed by his faith. I'm amazed at his steadfastness. I'm so glad he's the leader of our home. I'm so excited to see how God is going to bless him for his faithfulness. I'm proud to say he's my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment