Wednesday, May 25, 2011

To Judge

1 Corinthians 4

Stewards of the Mysteries of God

1 Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court.[a] In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4 For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God.


We are stewards of God. What is a steward? A steward is someone that takes care of something. What is required of a steward? To be found faithful. We must be found faithful in what God has entrusted to us, whatever that is. This really isn't what hit me from this verse though, check out the next few verses. It doesn't really bother him when others judge him and he really doesn't even judge himself. He allows God to judge him.

Judging is such a hard word these days. You shouldn't judge others by their looks. You shouldn't judge or you to will be judge. But what does Paul say? He doesn't even judge himself. Oh how guilty I am of this. I look at my life and what do I do? I compare it to others. Then what happens? I don't give as much to the church as he does. I don't volunteer as much as she does. I know I don't have an impact like they do. I start to judge myself. The only real way we can judge is by comparing ourselves to others and unless you're Mother Teresa, you're always going to find somebody doing it better than you do. But here's the thing. God does not judge us by comparing us to others. Why?

1 Corinthians 12:4-6
There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.


God knows that we are not created the same. We are all made up differently. This means that some are going to be better givers, some servers and some teachers. The important thing is that I find what God has called me to do and to do it faithfully. God does not require more of myself than that, so why should I?

The problem is is that I've felt better about this lately. Why? Because God had called us to Fishers to do something big! I now feel like I'm really doing something for God. Whew! I'm doing more than that person. I mean, we're giving up a great job and security to give it all up for God. I'm really serving God now. What about the person that God has called to serve right here. What about the person God has called to clean toilets, watch kids, visit an elderly neighbor. You see, I'm still comparing myself. I have prayed that God will keep me humble through this experience. You see, it's not about me, it's all about him. He could do His work in Fishers through anybody, but he chose me. He's allowing me to help in this. What a blessing! So, I'm trying to keep my eyes on Jesus and stop comparing and judging myself by looking at others and what they are or are not doing. God doesn't measure me that way. I am entrusted with what he has decided to entrust me with. No more, no less. I will be a steward over what He has given me and I will do it faithfully! That's all God requires of me and that's all I can require of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment