Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Samaritan Women

This story has been preached on so many times from so many angles. I'm reading through the book of John and read the very first paragraph of her story, really before her story:

John 4

A Samaritan Woman Meets Her Messiah

1 Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John 2 (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), 3 He left Judea and departed again to Galilee. 4 But He needed to go through Samaria.


Now, I heard a sermon preached once, possibly even by my amazing brother, on this story. Did you know that Samaria is right between Galilee and Judea, the logical town for anyone traveling between the two cities to go through. However, no one traveled that way. They would go out of their way so they would not have to go through Samaria. But did you catch what Jesus said? He needed to go through Samaria. Now, it could have been that he wanted to get to Judea as quick as possible so he wanted to take the shortest route. I don't think so. He needed to go that way because he knew that the Samaritan women needed him.

Oh how great a God we serve that He does not do what everyone else does. He does not not do something just because other people don't do it and would criticize Him for doing it.

For awhile now, I've had this thought, this feeling, that we should move to Fishers whether Doug has a job or not. Now, I don't like this thought. I don't like this feeling. I honestly don't want God to ask us to do this. It's scary! So, a couple of weeks ago I prayed and told God that if this is what He wants for us, He needs to have Doug bring it up to me. Whew! Pretty much dodged that one! I love my husband dearly. And while he's doing better, he really doesn't talk much about deep issues or his feelings. So, I'm pretty sure we're in the clear.

Two days ago Doug says we need to get the house on the market. We haven't been rushing it since there is supposedly a family that wants to look at it and it would be very nice not to have pay a Realtor. I told him I thought we should wait until he finds a job. Then we could get a house in Fishers and probably swing two house payments for a short time. He said no, he didn't want to do that. So, I let it go and just said ok. A couple of hours later I asked him why he wanted to list the house right away. He said he remembered Pastor Matt (I believe) preaching that faith really isn't faith until you use it, until you just step out in trust. So, he thought we should sell our house, buy a house in Fishers and we should move there. I said "without you having a job?" And he said "Yes." NOOOOOO! What! He was not supposed to tell me this! While my insides were aflutter with nervousness with how in the world this would work, I was also looking at amazement that my husband is willing to do this! What growth we have both experienced. I was also so amazed at God for answering my prayer, just how I wanted.

So, we're praying that God will lead us. We want to do His will, no matter what. No matter how crazy it seems. If He shows us that this is definitely the path for us, then we'll go there. So, I've been praying that God will guide me if this is His path for us. Which brings us to the passage I read today. Jesus needed to go through Samaria. Why? Because there was a lost hurting women there. Doug and I need to go to Fishers. It's not a want. It's not a desire. It's a need. I googled a definition for need and here's the one I love:

Definition of NEED. 1: necessary duty : obligation

There are lost people in Hamilton County. There are hurting people in Hamilton County. God has called us to do something about it. What was once so fun and so amazing has become this obligation, this duty, this necessity in our lives. We are so excited to be near my family. We are so excited to be near Matt & Brooke. But you know what, if we were called to Timbuktu, we would go. Why, because reaching people that need Jesus isn't an option. It's not something you can choose to do or not to do it. We must do it. It's necessary! It's necessary for us! You see, God is using this to change us. We must reach out to others, so much more than we have in the past. We want God to use us, no matter how unlogical it may seem.

Our path on this journey is looking different than I thought it would. But my prayer has been from the beginning that God would show us the path He has for us. If this is where He leads, than all we can do is follow. It's not an option. It's necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment